It's that time of the year when many of you are going on trips to see family friends and relatives and eating out. Here are some goods ways to eat well, exercise and feel good about yourself while traveling rather than completely undo your current healthy lifestyle.
1. Bring some food from home. I know it may be an extra burden, but when your stomach growls or you start to feel faint, you will be happy that you brought it with. I usually bring a protein bar or nuts with. You will be less likely to reach for any kind of food when you are not starving. Airport food is expensive and I always regret buying something because I could have saved money.
2. Get up in the morning and do a short workout in your room, go to a hotel gym or go on a run. Mentally you will feel better that you worked out and that you got it over with. Try to find a way to stay active, which can include walking through the city, rock climbing, hiking and bike riding.
3. When eating out, do not be afraid to ask your servers for modifications such as less sauce, dressing on the side, no butter etc.. I look for the moderate to the healthiest things on the menu such as grilled chicken with sweet potato and greens or salmon with asparagus. I know that menu items are packed with hidden calories, so I would recommend not ordering garlic bread, sesame chicken and chicken alfredo pizza. Indulge a little, but don't overdo it. Limit yourself to about one a day while you are traveling.
4. When eating at friend or family member's house, it is okay to turn down some of the food they offer. You do not have to eat everything. Simply state that you are not hungry or make up an excuse. Better not eating, then regretting it later. When you are all at the table, fill up your plate once and wait 15 minutes before getting seconds. You won't actually be hungry, so you may not need to take more. Try to balance your plate with different food groups. 1/2 fruits or vegetables, 1/4 carbohydrates and 1/4 protein.
5. Limit the technology. Don't sit around and watch TV all day, go out and enjoy the fresh air and go hiking! I try to limit my use of my phone too.
6. The most important rule- Enjoy yourself. You deserve a holiday and some rest because you worked hard to enjoy yourself. You can always lose the weight again. The most you can gain over some vacation is a few lbs and they will fall off faster than you lost them because it isn't real weight.