Monday, April 27, 2015

Shirataki and Slim Noodles- REVIEW

Shirataki Noodle Stir-fry 
Picture by Jenny 

Shirataki and Slim noodles are considered to be the new miracle noodle. These noodles have 10-20 calories per serving, and are made with konjac yams, water and glucomannan, a water-soluble dietary fiber. They are also gluten free and low in carbohydrates.

Because the noodles have gotten great reviews, I decided to give them a try. Overall, they are satisfying.  They virtually have no calories in them. If you eat pasta 3-4 times per week or more, then they could be a great alternative. BUT there are a few things that I did not like:

  • When you open the package, the noodles smell like fish. You have to rinse them in order to get rid of the horrible aroma. Afterwards, you have to boil them for about four minutes. One time, I did not boil them and I got a horrible stomach ache for the rest of the day. Afterwards, you are free to add them to whatever sauce you want or stir fry them. 
  • The noodles contain lots of fiber, so they should keep you full. But for how long? Two hours or five hours? Nope. They did not keep me full. They went through me in about two hours and I was starving immediately. This is because you are not eating a full meal. My meal was probably between 150-200 calories and I loaded my plate with protein and vegetables. Yes, this helps you lose weight, but you are essentially starving yourself. The noodles vastly restrict our caloric intake because the noodles are so low in calories. Our bodies need energy to perform daily activities. I was very lethargic and exhausted after I ate these too. 
  • They are expensive. Two pounds per pack? Are you kidding me? You can buy a pack of whole wheat spaghetti for 1 pound at Sainsburys or Tesco Express in the United Kingdom and they will last you about 5-6 days and have better nutritional benefits.  
  • The noodles are very gummy and wormy if you do not add sauce to them. They have no flavor and when you add sauce to them, they still taste weird.
Whether you want to try them or not, it is up to you. Do not expect great Italian pasta or rice noodles from Thailand. But, go ahead and give them a try. It doesn't hurt to taste them. But if you are trying to lose weight, this is not a product that you should rely on.
-Jenny 

No comments:

Post a Comment