- Eat some fruit. Apples, blueberries, strawberries, pineapple and raspberries are great for curing my sweet cravings. I put them in the freezer sometimes and taste just like popsicles when taking them out.
- Have a moderate to big breakfast. The bigger the breakfast that I have, the less cravings I have during the day. Adding cocoa powder, cinnamon and vanilla yogurt can cure your sugar cravings for the rest of the day.
- Chew some gum. Although gum can make you gassy, it is sometimes enough to get your mind on something else. Do not chew it for too long, otherwise it will make you hungrier.
- Get rid of all sweets in the house. Yes. I mean ALL of them. Even that candy bar in your desk that have been saving. When you have a sugar craving, there will be nothing in the house for you to eat.
- Get out of the kitchen or the house. Go on a walk.
- Eat regularly especially if you exercise a lot. My sugar cravings hit me in the afternoon. It’s important to have a small 100-300 calorie snack to keep your energy going. Some snack ideas consist of: yogurt with fresh fruit, nuts, sunflower seeds and smoothies.
- If you have sweets in the house, never ever tell yourself “no” I cannot have it. Tell yourself that you can have it “later.” By saying “no,” your mind will remember and want it so badly that you will end up eating it.
- Increase your protein and fat intake. Protein and fats makes you feel full and comfortable. Click here to read about how much sodium, fats and sugars you should be eating.
- Give in. It’s okay to have a cookie or a piece of cake. Everything in moderation is okay. If you are going to eat something, SIT DOWN at the table and put it on a plate or in a bowl. DO NOT eat standing up. If you eat standing up, you will eat too fast and overeat.
Sunday, July 27, 2014
Sugar Cravings: How to Deal with Them
Photo Credit: Jenny
Everyone gets cravings. Sweets are something that we also enjoy to eat, so it’s common to crave them. If you feel that sugar is stopping you from reaching your weight loss goal, or you simply feel powerless against sweets- I can tell you that it is all mental.
Here are my tips for keeping them at bay: